Wednesday 28 August 2013

The War Inside by M. Kircher | Book Review

The War Inside (The Horizons Trilogy, #1)


The end of the world is only just the beginning. So eighteen-year-old Thea discovers when her solitary life on a dying Earth is shattered by a mysterious dream, a devastating choice, and a strange gift that propels her on a journey towards the restoration of all mankind.


Thea is bitter and alone; eking out her miserable life on the sunless, cloud-covered Earth she inhabits. A terrifying dream convinces her to save the life of an injured girl, and despite her misgivings, Thea decides to rescue sixteen-year-old Viviana. She soon learns that gentle Viv has a life-threatening infection, as well as a freakish patch of glowing skin over her heart. When this light spreads to Thea, causing her palms to glow, she is forced to trust Caden, an arrogant, lazy, and annoyingly handsome boy she utterly despises. Caden has a map to the last city on Earth, and the only place that might have a cure for both Viv's infection and the strange light on Thea's hands. As the trio embark on a journey through the barren wilderness, Thea and Caden discover, and try to fight, their mounting attraction to each other. Along the way they are joined by Rain, Naomi, and Enoch who explain that the light is not a curse, but a powerful gift meant to heal the polluted Earth and reconnect the remnants of humanity. When the group learns that Viv is the key to this planet-wide redemption, and that there are deadly shadows who will do anything to keep humans in the darkness forever, they each must make the difficult decision to help Viv fulfill her destiny...and save the world.


▪PLOT▪

I feel that the plot of this book started off very slow and it took me a while to get into it. I picked it up and put it down for a more fast paced book. However, I did push myself to pick it up again and I'm glad that I did because the pace did pick up after a while.
I would have liked a lot more action and since the title is "The War Inside", I thought there was going to be some kind of physical war. 
Also, the plot got a little confusing at times and the author contradicted a few facts that I tried to overlook because the writing was so beautifully done. There was so much description and it made me feel like I was looking at all these things in real life. Even the little things were described amazingly and I definitely credit the author for that.


▪CHARACTERS▪

The characters were a problem to me. They were really good characters, don't get me wrong. You could see that the author really spent time on these characters; developing and fine tuning them. 
However, I didn't feel them. I did not feel close to them and I couldn't relate to anything. The characters to me were just people I read about and for a book to be really good, I have to feel for the characters and suffer with them. In this book I just couldn't do that.
The reason for that is there was nothing of the character that I could grab and hold on to. Nothing that stood out. 
In a few month's time I will probably forget Thea and Caden. They are not the sort of character I would remember because of the lack of connection with the reader.

Overall, I give this book 3 stars. If the characters had more connection with the reader, I would have given it 4 stars. The writing was beautiful and overall a good read.

---- This is the first read and review I've ever done and found it really fun to do and definitely pushed me to read more books that aren't popular --- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...